Finding dry skin on the penis can definitely cause anxiety for any man. A patch of dry skin can bring some of the worst-case scenarios to mind! Luckily, most causes of dry penile skin are commonplace and easy to remedy. At worst, a man can expect a little discomfort as the skin heals and returns to its smooth natural state. Here are a few of the most reported causes of dry skin on the penis and how to treat them.
1) Harsh Soaps –. Penis skin is very delicate, and harsh soaps can lead to dryness and irritation. Harsh soaps containing sodium lauryl sulfates (SLS), lye, polypropylene, and triclosan should be avoided at all costs. Use just water or a gentle soap like baby shampoo to gently clean the area.
2) Allergies — Allergies to lotions, condoms, spermicide, laundry detergents, certain fabrics, or other personal care products have been known to cause dry skin on the penis. Other associated symptoms of allergy include sneezing, a runny nose, wheezing, and watery eyes.
3) Chafing – Too tight pants, underwear, or shorts can cause chafing, leading to irritation and dry skin. Be sure not to make things around the groin too tight to avoid chafing.Also, wear breathable, soft fabrics so that the area doesn’t get too moist, or it will attract bacteria.
4) Yeast Infection – Yeast infections can cause not only cause dry penile skin but also manifest a rash, swelling around the head of the penis, thick discharge under the foreskin, and white patches on the skin. It can also be quite painful to have sex or urinate. Use an over-the-counter anti-fungal cream on the head of the penis (and under the foreskin if uncircumcised) until symptoms are gone. Abstain from masturbation and sex until the infection is completely clear.
5) Eczema – Eczema is a common skin problem where the skin is dry, inflamed, or irritated.Treat the area with an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream as directed by a pharmacist or doctor. Be sure to moisturize the area daily and after any contact with water to minimize additional drying.
6) Psoriasis – Psoriasis is a skin disease which causes red, scaly patches on the skin. Thankfully it isn’t hazardous or contagious. See a doctor or dermatologist for a prescription cortisone cream to treat the affected area. A crème with vitamins A and E for regular moisturizing is also helpful.
7) Dry Sex or Masturbation – Prolonged sexual activity without adequate lubrication can cause dry skin on the penis. Using a lubricant for sex or masturbation can prevent dryness and make it more pleasurable. Lubricants come in three formulations: water-based, oil-based, and silicone-based. Water-based lubricants are least likely to cause irritation. Be sure that the lubricant is also safe to use with condoms for the safest sex.
Practice Good Penile Care for Health
Regardless of the source of the problem, good penile grooming habits can go a long way in reducing irritation and dry skin on the penis. Be sure to wash the penis every day using gentle pressure and a gentle cleanser. Moisturize the penis regularly to keep it smooth and supple. Keep the groin area dry and wear breathable fabrics so as to discourage moisture and bacteria, and opt for looser pants or at least fitted pants in lieu of tight trousers.
When it comes to moisturizing delicate penis skin, a specially formulated penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin) should be used. Nutrient creams that are made explicitly for the penis should encompass ingredients such as vitamins A, C, D, and E, which are well-known for their skin-soothing and rejuvenating properties. Men should also select a product containing a natural emollient such as Shea butter, which repairs dry skin and returns it to its originally smooth state.
Subscribe To Wonder Spray News
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and special offers!