Sore throat can be a very discomforting experience, especially when it comes with difficulty swallowing or speaking. While there are many over-the-counter sore throat medications out there, there’s a growing preference for more natural remedies to alleviate sore throat symptoms. These remedies are inexpensive, chemical-free and come with no side effects. Here are 10 natural sore throat remedies you can try today:
1. Saltwater gargle: Gargling with salt water is an age-old remedy for sore throat. Salt has antiseptic properties that can help kill bacteria on the throat’s surface, reduce inflammation and loosen mucus. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water, then gargle the salt water for about 30 seconds before spitting it out. Repeat the process three to four times a day until the soreness subsides.
2. Honey: Honey is loaded with antibacterial properties that help soothe sore throat. It also helps to form a protective layer on the throat lining that prevents further irritation. Add a teaspoon of honey to your tea or warm water to relieve sore throat pain. Be sure to avoid giving honey to children under one year because of the risk of botulism.
3. Marshmallow root: Marshmallow root is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that has been used for centuries to relieve sore throat symptoms. It helps coat the throat’s surface, reduce swelling and ease pain. Mix a tablespoon of dried marshmallow root with a cup of boiling water, let it steep for 15 minutes, strain the mixture and drink it up to three times a day.
4. Licorice root: Licorice root is another traditional sore throat remedy that contains saponins, flavonoids, and glycosides that help reduce inflammation and soothe irritation. It also helps with coughs and stomach ulcers. Boil a spoonful of licorice root in a cup of water for 10 minutes, then let it cool, strain and drink two to three times a day.
5. Lemon water: Lemon water is a great natural remedy for sore throat because it contains vitamin C and antibacterial properties that help fight infections. Also, lemon juice is acidic, helping to break down mucus and reduce inflammation. Squeeze a lemon into a glass of warm water, add honey and drink this mixture twice a day to ease sore throat symptoms.
6. Ginger: Ginger has antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that can ease sore throat pain. Grate a small piece of ginger, add it to boiling water and let it steep for 10 minutes. Add honey and drink it up to three times a day. You can also suck on ginger lozenges to ease throat irritation.
7. Slippery Elm: Slippery Elm contains mucilage, a substance that soothes and coats the throat area, easing sore throat symptoms. Mix powdered slippery elm bark with warm water to form a paste, then drink it up to three times a day.
8. Chamomile tea: Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties and is soothing to the mind and body. Brew a chamomile tea bag in hot water, add honey and drink it 2 to 3 times a day to ease throat irritation.
9. Echinacea: Echinacea is an immune booster that helps fight off infections that cause sore throat pain. It also improves overall immune health. Add a few drops of Echinacea tincture to a cup of warm water and drink it up to three times a day.
10. Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a natural antibacterial agent that helps to kill harmful bacteria causing sore throat. Mix a tablespoon of ACV with a glass of warm water, gargle the mixture for about 30 seconds and spit it out. Repeat the process two to three times a day.
With these natural sore throat remedies, you do not have to spend much or expose your body to potentially harmful chemicals. It’s always best to combine home remedies with a healthy lifestyle, such as drinking lots of water, getting enough rest, and avoiding alcohol, smoking and other irritants. In case of severe sore throat, difficulty breathing or fever, please seek medical attention immediately.
Subscribe To Wonder Spray News
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and special offers!